Pizza Klatch offers weekly lunchtime support groups for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning Youth (LGBTQ) and their allies in Thurston County, Washington. We provide free pizza, two trained facilitators for each group, and a convenient and safe forum for discussion and education. We presently have 11 Pizza Klatch groups going in 6 local high schools. We typically have 8-20 students attending per lunch.
Pizza – A favorite food among high school students. Italian in origin, made of thin bread dough spread with a spiced mixture of e.g. tomato sauce and cheese.
Klatch – Is a Yiddish word for: An informal social gathering, especially for the purpose of conversation.
The Goals of the groups are to:
- Diminish bullying in the schools
- Help students to feel strong enough to intervene when they witness bullying
- Decrease suicide and suicidal attempts of LGBTQ students
- Lend support so LGBTQ students feel less isolated in the school setting
- Educate group members on various subjects and resources related to gender identity and sexuality
Group facilitators work closely with the school’s Gay Straight Alliance Advisor and with an assigned school counselor. The facilitators provide safety, information and structure while empowering group members to make the group fit their needs. Group members decide what speakers they would like brought in and what topics they want covered.